Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute (GMGI) is an exciting independent marine research institute that is addressing critical challenges facing our oceans, human health, and the environment through innovative scientific research and education. Our goal is to become a globally recognized leader in marine genomics and biotechnology, leveraging innovative technologies to address questions related to Oceans and Human Health with three main focus areas (1) Marine Biomedicine & Biotechnology, (2) Ecosystem Function & Health and (3) Fisheries & Aquaculture. GMGI is looking for a Senior Principal Investigator/Associate Director of Research with an established reputation as a leader in a field of study that aligns with GMGI’s mission. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated success as a driving force in advancing innovative scientific research with a strong publication record, a history of successfully awarded grants, interest in translating discoveries into practical applications, and a commitment to the public understanding of science.
As the Associate Director of Research, you will work closely with the Science Director to prioritize research directions for the institution, ensure successful completion of research goals, build strategic partnerships with academia and industry, and help to establish a funding strategy for long-term stability through diversification and expansion of funding sources.
The ideal candidate will have strong leadership skills, excellent communication skills, experience in managing research programs and staff, and the ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams of collaborators from academia and industry. This position is an extraordinary opportunity for an innovative and entrepreneurial scientist to work in an exciting start-up environment and to help shape the future of a world-class research institute.
• Lead a cutting-edge research program aligned with GMGI’s mission and science strategy
• Publish results in top scientific journals and present results at scientific conferences
• Establish strategic collaborations with leading academic and industry partners
• Assist in developing and executing institutional research goals, objectives, strategies and tactics
• Assist in developing a funding strategy for long-term sustainability of the institution
• Take a leading role in identifying new funding opportunities and grant writing
• Identify promising discoveries with translational potential and work with GMGI’s Commercialization Advisory Committee to protect, evaluate and develop these discoveries
• Assist in fund-raising efforts for the institution, give presentations to stakeholders, donors and general audiences
• Contribute to GMGI’s commitment to create a science community on Cape Ann
• Supervise and inspire research staff and manage project budgets
• PhD with 10+ years of experience in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Marine Biology, or a related field
• Established reputation as a leader in a field of study that aligns with GMGI’s mission
• Demonstrated record of leadership, integrity, and strategic decision making
• History of success as a driving force in executing research projects with a track record of successfully awarded grants
• Background in applying innovative molecular and/or computational approaches to research questions and ability to identify and develop game-changing technologies
• Strong publication record representing innovative, high-quality research
• Research area that is suitable for NIH grant funding is particularly desirable
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience with the technology transfer process
• Excellent communication and teamwork skills for success in a collaborative and dynamic environment
• Enthusiasm and commitment to GMGI’s mission for science and education
This position will report to the Science Director.
It’s our goal as an employer to provide an enriching and supportive environment for our employees. We are proud to offer a benefit package that includes:
• Health and Dental Insurance
• Medical and Dependent Flex Spending Accounts
• Long Term Disability
• Life Insurance
• Paid Time Off
• 403(b) Retirement Plan
• 10 Paid Holidays
Applicants must be authorized to work in the US.
Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute (GMGI) was launched in 2013 in the belief that the ocean represents a new source of opportunity. As a not-for-profit whose ambitious mission is to “address critical challenges facing our oceans, human health and the environment through innovative scientific research and education” GMGI is demonstrating that there is vast potential in marine science discovery powered by genomics.
GMGI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and all aspects of employment are based on merit, competence, performance and business need.
In addition to researching diversity in our oceans, GMGI is committed to supporting diversity in our workforce and classrooms. We know that having varied backgrounds and experiences stimulates discussion and new ideas. We are committed to taking action on diversity, equity, and inclusion through providing substantial training opportunities to increase our self-awareness as an organization, and building a team of staff and students from uniquely different backgrounds.